Blackberry Time!



It's been a good year for snakes, chiggers, and blackberries.  I can do without the first two, but I love the abundance of blackberries.  These are thornless blackberries, which makes the picking process much easier than the thorn-laden wild variety.
DSCN0313

DSCN0315
Won't you please give a good chicken just one berry?

DSCN0324

DSCN0295

I have frozen at least 8 quarts of berries, I've turned them into blackberry muffins, and I also made jam.
DSCN0296
Here I'm cooking the berries with sugar.  Recipes exist online or on the back of a box of fruit pectin; follow the instructions carefully.

DSCN0297

Filling the jars with cooked jam.


DSCN0298

After a dunk in the water bath canner according to the directions, the jam is ready!


DSCN0299

My daughter wanted a taste of the finished product, and she approves!